Common Cold is the inflammation of the upper respiratory tract which is caused by viral infection. This is a very general problem which affects people mostly during monsoons. Common cold viruses cause inflammation of the upper respiratory area, which results in a variety of symptoms.
Common cold infections are so prevalent that there can be very few people who break out the infection each year. According to Wikipedia, there are more than 200 diverse viruses(rhinoviruses been the commonest) are known to cause the symptoms of the common cold.
Common Cold Symptoms
Symptoms of common cold are:
- blocked or a runny nose
- a sore throat
- muscle aches
- a raised temperature( fever)
- pressure in your ears and face
- loss of taste and smell
Mode of transmission( how the disease spreads)
- By skin-to-skin contact (handshakes or hugs).
- By saliva (kissing or shared drinks).
- By touching a contaminated surface (blanket or doorknob).
- By airborne respiratory droplets (coughs or sneezes)
How you’ll be able to treat a cold yourself to help you recuperate a lot of quickly:
- make sure to get enough rest and sleep
- Always make sure to keep warm
- Make it a point to drink lots of water (fruit juice or squash mixed with water is ok) to avoid dehydration
- gargle salt water to soothe a sore throat
Home Remedies for Common Cold:
1) Dilute lime juice with honey to drink is the top application in cases of common cold attacks and this remedy is also fine Home Remedy for Cold.
2) Normal intake of Gooseberry in the winter season helps to boost body immunity against an attack of common cold and cough.
3) Peppermint tea may also benefit during the common cold.
4) Ginger: (Zingiber officinale) Ginger extracts taken numerous times a day is a superb Home Remedy for Cold and to treat coughs that accompany common colds.
5) The roots of the bitter gourd plant are used in folk medicine to treat a cold. A teaspoon of the root paste, mixed with an identical amount of honey or tulsi leaf juice, given once every night for a month, acts as an excellent medicine for colds. This is another effective Home Remedy for Cold.
6) In a cup of milk boil 1 tbsp of pepper powder with a pinch of turmeric. You can add some sugar for better taste. Drink this mixture once a day for three days.
7) Garlic soup is an old Home Remedy for Common Cold to reduce the harshness of a cold and should be taken once daily. The soup can be made by boiling three or four cloves of chopped garlic in a cup of water. Five drops of garlic oil mixed with a teaspoon of onion juice, and diluted in a cup of water, should be taken two to three times in a day. This has also been found to be very useful in the common cold treatment.
8) For a dry and stuffy nose, try usual saline or salt water nasal drops made by adding 1/4 teaspoon of table salt to about 4 ml lukewarm water. Make a fresh solution every few days keeping it in a fridge. Use a clean dropper to fill 1 to 2 drops in each nostril about 3 to 4 times daily for common cold.
9) Lemon can be used successfully to treat common cold, as it raises the body resistance. Take one glass of warm water and pour some lime juice and a tsp of honey in it and take this once or twice daily. This is a good Home Remedy for Cold.
10) A tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) crushed and coupled in a muslin cloth and can be inhaled whenever the nose is blocked.
11) 3-4 tsp onion juice with 3-4 tsp honey taken daily avoids cold.